A Brief History of The Church of St. Timothy
The Church of St. Timothy was a vision before it was an actuality; a dream which God put in the minds of men. (The Reverend Canon Henry Marsh, 1955)
In the words of our Archivists, the history of The Church of St. Timothy would not be complete without an understanding of the human story, particularly the courage, sacrifices and dedication of Henry Marsh and the parishioners to raise funds in the depths of the depression, when many were losing their jobs and homes. Many decades later we are now the beneficiaries of their faith and leadership.
1930 June 18th Initial meeting with The Reverend Henry H. Marsh in John Wanless School to plan for a new Church. The name of ‘The Church of St. Timothy” was chosen.
1930 July 20th 140 attended the first service at John Wanless School. After a year there were 800 families on the parish roll including 400 children.
1931 Property at Old Orchard and Ridley purchased.
1932 May 14th After many setbacks the cornerstone was laid for the first building, now the Parish Hall.
1933 March 5th First services in the basement – now the gymnasium.
1936 St. Timothy’s was made a “self-supporting parish”. The Rev. Henry H. Marsh was formally inducted as Rector.
1950 May 7th First sod was turned; September 30th the cornerstone was laid for new sanctuary.
1951 November 15th First service in the new Church building.
1965 Mortgage discharged.
1991 Rectory constructed on land owned to the north of Parish House.
1999 “Vision 2000” campaign is launched to renovate Parish House.
2000 December 3rd Renovations completed. The Parish Hall was renamed “Soward Hall’, and the Parlour renamed “The Henry Marsh Room”.
2000 The Reginald and Ruth Soward Memorial Trust and Lectureship Fund established.
2011 Diocesan Capital Campaign entitled ‘Our Faith Our Hope’ – Parish achieved its goal.